Last Updated on
The Social Security System offers members many benefits, including housing loans particularly designed for low-cost housing, home improvement, and home loan assumptionIn a nutshell, the Social Security System is a state-run social insurance program providing workers in the private sector, wage-earners, and even those who are self-employed with a number of different benefits. These include benefits that address sickness, maternity, retirement, disability, and death. The SSS also offers loans, the most common of which is the Salary Loan for members, followed by the variety of business loans offered under the social security program.
The SSS also offers a number of housing loans, although these loan products are not as common as those offered by the Pag-IBIG Fund and commercial banks. Depending on the housing loan product, loans offered by SSS have different qualifications and have their own respective application processes.
Direct Housing Loan Facility for Workers’ Organization Members
The Direct Housing Loan Facility for Workers’ Organization Members (WOM) is designed to provide socialized and low-cost housing to workers who are members of duly registered and accredited workers’ organizations. These can be any association of workers in the private sector registered with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Securities and Exchange Commission, or the Cooperative Development Authority, as well as any trade union center, federation, national union, chapter, or independent union as defined in Book V of the Labor Code of the Philippines.
The Direct Housing Loan Facility for WOMs may be used for the following purposes:
- To construct a new house or dwelling unit on a lot owned by the applicant free from liens or encumbrances
- To purchase a lot and construct thereon a new house or dwelling unit
- To purchase an existing residential unit, which may be a house and lot, a condominium unit, or a townhouse
Direct Housing Loan Facility for Overseas Filipino Workers
The Direct Housing Loan Facility for overseas Filipino workers (OFW) is intended to support the government’s shelter program, with the purpose of providing socialized and low-cost housing to overseas Filipino contract workers.
OFWs, when defined for eligibility for an SSS Direct Housing Loan, are the following:
- Currently deployed with a contract processed through the Philippine Overseas Employment Authority (POEA) or authenticated by the Embassy abroad
- With employment contracts that are awaiting renewal or deployment; however, the release of the loan shall be made upon renewal or employment
- Filipino nationals who are now citizens or immigrants of foreign countries but are interested in buying a housing unit for their family who still reside in the Philippines
- Long-term overseas resident Filipinos who wish to avail of housing packages either for themselves when they retire or when they visit the Philippines, or for their extended families
Like the Direct Housing Loan Facility for WOMs, the housing loan for OFWs covers the same purposes. With regard to application, the two loans also share a similar application process, with only a number of differences on documentary requirements.
The required documents for either Direct Housing Loan Facility types may be submitted, upon initial application, by SSS members or their representatives at the nearest SSS cluster branch or at the Housing and Business Loans Department at the Fifth Floor of the main SSS Building along East Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City.
Housing Loan for Repairs or Improvements
The Housing Loan for Repairs or Improvements is an SSS lending program that can be availed of by members either directly from the agency or through one of its accredited participating financial institutions (PFI). The SSS’s list of accredited PFIs is subject to change, but at present, they include the following:
- Philippine Veterans Bank
- Land Bank of the Philippines
- Planters Development Bank
- Valiant Rural Bank (Iloilo)
This type of housing loan may be used to finance any of the following:
- Major repairs, particularly for dilapidated and structurally unsafe housing units
- Improvements that shall apply to the following:
- Extension or expansion and enhancement of economic and aesthetic value of an existing housing unit, which shall be permanently attached to the house
- Completion of an already occupied bare house
- Construction of concrete fence and steel gate
- Installation of deep well and motor pump
To apply for a Housing Loan for Repairs and Improvements, one has to go to any SSS cluster branch, the agency’s main office in Quezon City, or the previously mentioned PFIs and submit the following requirements.
Assumption of Mortgage
The SSS’s Assumption of Mortgage is a lending program that allows members in good standing to assume the updated principal balance of an existing SSS Housing Loan.
Like the Direct Housing Loan Facility, applications and the subsequent requirements for SSS’s Assumption of Mortgage types may be submitted at the nearest SSS cluster branch or at the Housing and Business Loans Department at the Fifth Floor of the main SSS Building along East Avenue in Diliman, Quezon City.
For more information regarding SSS Housing Loans, visit www.sss.gov.ph.
Main image via Shutterstock